Located on the east bank of the Mississippi River, Marshall Terrace is a residential neighborhood in Northeast Minneapolis. Its boundaries are Saint Anthony Parkway to the north, University Avenue to the east, Lowry Avenue to the south, and the Mississippi River to the west.
The neighborhood is named after Minnesota’s fifth governor, William R. Marshall, who served in office from 1866 to 1870. Marshall served as Governor in a time of great prosperity in Minneapolis, brought about largely by the expansion of the railroad and large industries along the Mississippi River.
The Marshall Terrace neighborhood grew up alongside these industries, providing homes for factory and railroad employees in the early 20th Century.
Today, Marshall Terrace has over 1,300 residents and a wide variety of businesses, organizations, and places of worship. We offer quick access to downtown, bus lines, Nice Ride bikes, and we're just a few steps away from the Mississippi River. Head down to Marshall Terrace Park, and you can see the Great Blue Heron rookery from the shore.
Have Marshall Terrace history to share? (stories, photos, facts, etc.)
Email us and let us know!